Navigation Pages

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Bathroom - Finale

This is it.  The longest part of this 9 month challenge is done.  The bathroom work started in January.  I now have a bathroom I'm proud of, even though the makeover was scoped down to mostly one side of the room.  The challenge is to make over 3 rooms in 9 months for $3000.00.  This means timing, money, and scope need to be managed.  I hope you are not disappointed that I've scoped the bathroom down to doing one side, plus the addition of a light in the shower.  By doing only one side, I still had the added challenge of making the old finishes work with the new.  Let me know what you think of the result - here's the Before and After pics...

Before
After
The color scheme overall is similar.  Before, I had wallpaper with a green leaf pattern.  Now I have what I want to call 'green apple'.  My mom called it 'avocado' which made me bristle at first because this is an old fashioned color, but it really does look like the fresh inside of an avocado!  

The cabinet height has been increased and they have been stained a nice warm reddish wood tone.  The baseboard and window/door trim is painted white and the counter top and sink look fresh and bright.


The mirror was purchased some time ago with the idea that I would eventually use it in this bathroom.  I did not change the finish on the frame, in part, because this was one way to tie into the existing brass/gold finish on the shower door.  Someday I will add a back splash.



No more snakes and bamboo.  I did buy a snail figurine to bring the white up to the top of the medicine cabinet.  I added a ginger jar I already had to bring in another shade of green and some of the coral/rust color from the roman shade.

I found a container for cotton balls at Savers that has similar stripes to the tiny vase I already owned. 


The towels and area rug are the second (preferred) choice.  I initially purchased really soft towels that were bright white with a green stripe accent.  I brought them home and they looked washed out and made no impact to the decor.  The rust color towels are a great accent matching the flowers in the shade and bridging the tiles in the shower to the newer features.  The area rug is a bit small.  I bought a second one intending to sew the two together, but they ended up being slightly different in size and color so I returned one to Target.  I like how the rug has some green, some white and some beige to match the walls, trim, and floor, respectively.







I have so much more storage now with the two new medicine cabinets I made.  I'm still playing with the decorative items on the counter - added the plant on the right and rearranged other items.



I had the electrician put the GFCI outlet inside the cabinet on my right which is where I would plug in my curling iron or hair dryer since I am right handed.



I don't mind admitting how I smile every time I can put away my curling iron without waiting for it to cool off since I added a metal container to the drawer where I now store the iron.  (Gotta have a lighter for candles!)



I used a candle base as a base for my water glass.  I was just looking for something that would give some impact to the right side of the sink.  I found this beaded candle 'dish' (already owned) that matched the metal finishes in this bathroom and used it to make my water glass stand out.

I'm glad I chose the white lamp shades for the lighting fixture instead of the ones that came with it.  I was fortunate to find them at one of the second hand stores I frequent - at the right place, at the right time!

The budget was hit big time for this room mostly because of the counter top choice and the hiring of an electrician.  It was totally worth it.  I made up for it with the great finds like the sink at Habitat Restore and building my own medicine cabinets.


The last room for this challenge, the foyer, cost me $289, so this means I have $597 left for the last room of this challenge.  I'm sure I can work with that.  Especially since I finally found something to house my files after searching for affordable lateral credenzas throughout this challenge.  You'll have to come back to see what I found!

If you think you need something to look forward to, take a look at this link: 

 There is apparently an abundance of significance to the month of May - besides my birthday!





2 comments :

  1. Quality, design and functionality are the main features in Brivero various faucet and modern bathroom faucetsfixture styles and include features such as ceramic cartridges, ecological aerator and finishes in full brass, chromium or nickel above market standards make our products an efficient choice for consumers alike. Briverofaucet and fixture selections match our different offerings and are completely adapted or certified for the US market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I review my post, i see that the apple green color isnt working. Would love a change to Krypton. A lovely moody but light blue.

    ReplyDelete