Navigation Pages

Saturday, October 31, 2015

The little bunk house is now fully clothed

We started out this June with a deteriorating slant roof structure that had a leaky roof and never had any siding on it except for OSB (which isn't siding at all!).  We ended up with a cute, gable roof structure with pretty cedar siding, a new entrance, a deck, a pine ceiling, and roof that WILL NOT LEAK.  (I may be commanding here more than reporting, but it better not leak after all the hard work we put into it.)  I learned a bunch about construction and am extremely grateful for the help of good friends and family.  It's not plumb and level, but working with the existing structure made that impossible.  The entire effort was a big lesson learned along with several small lessons.

Here are a few side by side comparison of the work we did -

Yes, we really did a few changes!  We removed 2 windows from the back (not shown).  We moved the door from the side to the front and moved the window from the front to the side.  There is one more window on the wall opposite the window shown.

We used the same door, minus a screen door for now.  We added a doorknob with a lock so we don't have to deal with pad locks.  Added a step using douglas fir wood, then stained it with walnut colored gel stain.

Here is a look from beginning to almost the end...Sorry the sizing and focal point changes a bit!

Here is how we left 'her' on 10/25/2015 when we closed up the main house and all buildings for the winter.  (I must have stained the door step after this picture!)

 I like it!

Monday, September 7, 2015

It took a couple of weekends, but the little cabbage roof is done!

Okay, so here is another quick update on the little cabbage.  The first 2 days of August, our great friends came back to help us get the heavy 4x8 OSB onto the rooftop over the nice pine planks we added in the last post.  We added fascia boards on the sides to 'cap' the end of the rafters.

Here is a link to some instructions that point out what a fascia board is and other tips.  We didn't follow these instructions - I found them now while I write this post! We generally did the same thing.

Next we added the roofing felt.  Don is the fearless one on top of the roof!

While holding the ladder, Lu tries to convince Chris that building is sexy!  I'm sure she succeeded.

Chris and Lu handled the shingles on this side after adding the drip edge down the gable ends.

Don and I installed this side.  Can you see the one we put in upside down?  I don't care! This is hard work.  It was in the mid to upper 80's this weekend.

This is not the end, really...
Moving on to the weekend of 8/22...

OSB installed, on to roofing felt on the other side :)
Don spent 4.5 hours on top of the roof, while I cut shingles and went up and down the ladder bringing them to him.  Ouch!  But the roof is finally done.

And now onto painting the door and installing trim and siding...


It took about 4 hours to get the siding done on this one side. It is not fun anymore, but I know I'll be happy when it is all done.

Happy Labor Day!

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Little Cab-age gets sheathed and roof started

Continuing with a bunch of pictures for you on the progress of rebuilding our bunkhouse.

6 days after the first weekend.

A 'Fun' 4th of July weekend!

Sorry for the noise, neighbors! 

A much needed rest.

Progress will wait for a few weeks.  Here's how we left the little cag-age...

Gave it a bit of a rain coat, installed the door (not shown), said good night!