Navigation Pages

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Friends - We're back with fabric and container choices

The progress on Lu's laundry continues.  I was not able to get to Lu's house for the last couple of weeks, but Lu went forward and did some fabric and container shopping as well as crafting a handy hanger storage container.

I asked Lu for pictures and progress, so the majority of this blog is in her words...mine in italics:
I decided that the easiest window treatment would be curtains. Haven’t figured out which style I’m going to do, but they’ll be able to be tied back in summer so we can feel the wonderful breeze, and closed in winter to help contain the heat.  So I went scoping material.
This is a linen material with embroidered flowers. Normally I don’t go for flowers, but this doesn’t seem too ‘girlish’.  It also brings a circular design into this room full of straight lines and angles. This material keeps the grey color true.
Lu is talking about the color sample sheets.  The 'grey' one is the color she painted on the walls and ceiling.  It is actually a color in the violet color family, so depending on the light and what is put against it, the color shows either as grey or pink or violet.


I really like this pattern too, but it seems to turn the grey wall color sort of pink-ish.  So, I thought that I would use this material for the cushions for the cat box seating.  Even though it’s a bunch of squares, it doesn’t look ‘boxy’.  Also, if I use this for the cushions, there’s limited wall space to turn pink because it will be just under the window trim.




I liked this pattern because of the fluidity; however, it also has the ‘pink effect’.  Chris didn’t like this one at all, so I’m going to write this one off.  Maybe I’ll find some use for this down the road…new curtains for the playroom perhaps?


Hanger storage

I was going to purchase a triangular bin for storing hangers on the new shelves above the washer & dryer, but couldn’t find anything with the color scheme.  B said, “Make one”.  So, being a talented, crafty person, I already had materials on hand.  I cut a piece of cardboard for the base.  Chris came up with a good suggestion.  Instead of keeping the bin enclosed, I should cut an opening so that I don’t have to take the bin down to get a hanger. 


The handles would stick out of the bin so I could just lift one out as needed.


If you're having a hard time imagining this, you'll have to wait for the finished product.  In the meantime, here is a link to the inspiration that started Lu on this project.

Lu continues...
I found this material at JoAnn’s in the remnants bin.  It was folded back-side out, so I didn’t know that it was a satin sheen.  I’m going to have the back side of the material on the outside though, because I think it looks better.  And, since I still had money left on a gift card from Christmas, this really didn’t cost anything.


I was thinking of using cloth bins on the shelves above the washer/dryer, but when I saw this bin at Target, I thought it would go well and be great work-glove storage.  It is!  I’m thinking of picking up some more like this for the other things I store out here.  I’ll be lining the top shelf with the Con-Tac paper as well.  In a prior post, I mentioned that the clear Con-Tac is being used to prevent paint from sticking to items on the shelves.
I'm loving this bin
Paint Progress
We ended up having to remove the bottom windows to paint, which meant removing another piece of trim.  But we were able to get them re-installed before the rain hit.
Functional Necessities
I picked up the new cat boxes and was going to get the new hamper, but ran into a snafu with the size.  I have to get a hamper 13 x 19 in order to fit, but the ones at Target were 15 x 21; too big for this purpose.  Then I thought of just getting another trash can, but that was too big as well.  I’ll have to think of something else.


That sums up Lu's progress notes.  Great job, Lu!

What's left?
  • Lighting
  • Curtains
  • Cushions for window seats
  • Installing doors with a cat entrance on the litter box cabinets
  • Doors on the Storage cabinet
  • A second storage cabinet
  • Installing a collapsing clothes hanger to hang wet items
  • More pretty things
We will eventually take a look at where we are with the budget.  As for time - we have no real hard deadlines and need to work around Lu and Chris's very busy schedule, however, I'm thinking we will be done well before Thanksgiving :)

No comments :

Post a Comment