Navigation Pages

Friday, June 20, 2014

Home Office - Anxious to get to the pretty stuff

Summer is finally here in Wisconsin!  It is getting harder to work on the inside when so much is growing on the outside.  Even so, I'm forging ahead.  My room has an energetic feel to it, even if I don't!



I left you last with the building of my file cabinet/shelving units.  I'm still in the process of trimming them out with wood strips to make them look semi-built-in.  In the meantime, I added a window bench.  One of the challenges with this bench is that there is a heating vent and an electrical outlet on the wall below the window.



I built a frame out of 2 x 4's.  I covered the top with 2 pieces of pine.  The back part is only 3 inches wide by 38 inches.  The front is 14 by 38.  Some day I may connect the two with a small piano hinge so I can access the wall outlet.  For now, I just have the boards sitting on top of the frame.


I stained the top of the cabinet which is made of 2 10 inch pieces of 1 inch pine.  I used two stains.  One is a Gel Stain in Walnut.  The other is a regular stain in Red Chestnut.  I layered these on about 2-3 times to come up with a color that very closely matches my desk finish.






I finished installing my base boards and much to my daughter's dismay I put them on both the wall and the bottom edges of the cabinets and window seat.  I still think it makes it look more built in.


I will add a decorative metal sheet on the front side of the bench so air can flow through from the heater vent.



Now on to the even more fun stuff - Accessory shopping.  I did some shopping in my home looking at pictures my daughter painted.  Not sure what I'm going to pick, but here are some examples:

 

I found the striped pillows at Pier 1 and the buttoned pillow at World Market.  I should have started shopping at World Market as their prices are more reasonable than Pier 1.  I still love both stores.


Unfortunately, I cannot keep these door knobs intended for the closet doors.  The screws are not long enough to fit all the way through.


I have just under $100.00 left of my $3000.00 budget which was spread across 3 rooms.  I think my budget is doing great.  There are some things I want that just won't make it into this challenge, but I still think I'll end up with 3 rooms I love.  As for the time left to finish - that is going quickly.  If you haven't seen it already, take a look at the countdown on the left side of this blog page.  Yikes!  We better get shopping! 

Here are some links I've enjoyed browsing -








Enough shopping!  I have to get to work.  More building, painting, sewing, breathing, etc.  Time is ticking.  See you in two weeks.


No comments :

Post a Comment