Navigation Pages

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Foyer Finale!

To recap this portion of my challenge, here are the goals for my first room, the Foyer:

  • Add color 
  • Organize the closet 
  • Build a bench 
  • Change lighting
  • Do all this by Christmas and with a budget of no more than $300.00. 

  What follows is the end result:





  • Flooring - I searched quite a few stores and online for an area rug and ended up getting two.  Both came from Target for under $20 each.
  • Art - A painting done by my daughter in an old IKEA frame and an Asian print I had in my basement.
  • Wall Decor - An antique ironwork piece found at an antique store in Indiana for $18, plus a basket I bought for $1.
  • Plants - Brought the geranium and asparagus fern in from outside.
  • Wreath - I looked and looked for a wreath under $35, but didn't find one, of course.  So I made it from the Magnolia leaves from our backyard tree, pine cones from our lake cottage, and wood shavings from our basement work shop.  Woodstock, our cat, helped!

I didn't need that box of leaves!

I  started with a styro-foam wreath form, wrapped it in scrap fabric, added 3-4 leaves at a time around the front, then around the side, and finally hot glued pine cones around the center and a few pieces of rolled wood shavings between the leaves.

I used floral pins to hold the leaves

The Bench Cushion

I sewed this cushion up with such focus, I forgot to take pictures of the progress.  It is about 47 by 16 inches with a 3 inch foam slab.  I thought about putting cording around it, but didn't have enough material.  In the end, it still looks good to me!

The Budget

I did it under budget, on time, and I'm really happy with the change in the look and the added functionality.  I hope this inspired someone to take a chance to make a big impact in a small area of their home.

A very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!   
Hope you'll be back next year to see 
the start of room 2 of this challenge.

No comments :

Post a Comment